Eat.Drink.Tweet

Eat.Drink.Tweet
Best damn burger in the Valley

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pleasant plant pleasures Abroad?!... Well in Alberta*


This morning I had the pleasure of browsing the Downtown Edmonton Farmers Market. The last one of the season. Of course with this weekend bringing the promise of much anticipated stomach stretching, it was a busy, bustling hub of delicate masses of food.

But nothing stood out quite as much (to me!) as the abundance of beautiful vegetables. I love visiting other towns and cities during harvest season, because you see what grows where and why we grow what we do at home. The growing season this year in Alberta was a bit....wet! Alberta (or some parts of it) have experienced an drought for the past 3 years. Until this summer!! It rained and rained and rained... leaving many gardens muddy and cold.

Some of the veggies that do well here in this region, dislike our heat at home and actually thrived in the gardens here this summer.

I'm talking about Brussel sprouts, carrots, parsnips and cauliflower. Ohhhhhhhhh how I love thee... I wanted to bring a swack of stuff home for my own feast of giving this weekend.. alas tho.. I don't think they woulda let me on the plane..would they??

The one thing that jumped out for me tho mainly was this bizarre type of cauliflower I saw called Romanesco Cauliflower! WOW it was a trippy swack of fractals piled up on one another... It seriously made me think that I have to grow this magic madness veggie!

Anyways, I stole a picture off the internet for you all to enjoy.

Thanks for reading! From the Edmonton Airport, I wish you all happy stuffing your faces this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment